Dr. Sunil Deokule joined our practice in January 2013. He specializes in glaucoma and related eye diseases. He is a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology and the American Glaucoma Society. He comes to us from Lexington, Kentucky where he was a glaucoma specialist and associate professor at the University of Kentucky and VA hospital. He provided tertiary glaucoma care to large area of Bluegrass Region. This included management of complicated and advanced glaucoma, complicated cataract surgery, laser surgery for glaucoma, innovative glaucoma surgeries such as trabectome and ExPress shunt and more traditional glaucoma surgery such as trabeculectomy and glaucoma drain surgery. He comes with excellent basic science and clinical research experience having authored several publications in prestigious medical journals. He also has vast international experience having practiced Ophthalmology in the United Kingdom for 9 years and New Zealand for nearly 3 years.
Areas of Expertise
- Evaluation of ocular hypertension, glaucoma suspects, narrow angle glaucoma, open angle glaucoma and secondary glaucomas i.e. inflammatory, steroid induced, neovascular, traumatic etc.
- Medical management of glaucoma and related eye conditions
- Surgical management of glaucoma and related eye conditions
- Complicated cataract surgery associated with glaucoma
- Medical Degree from Baroda Medical College, Baroda, India
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (Ophthalmology)
- Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmology, London
- Fellow of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists
- Double Ophthalmology residencies: Baroda Medical College, Birmingham and Midland Eye Center, Birmingham, England
- Double Glaucoma Fellowships: Otago University, Dunedin, New Zealand
- University of California, San Diego
- David and Nancy Schanzlin best research award, 2008, UCSD